Saturday, March 2, 2013

One more day of "indoor recess" may do me in...

Let's face it; there really is no such thing as "indoor recess." The only justifiable recess is the outdoor kind. Anything other than that is a compromise of our standard classroom management and procedures. But when recess "time" rolls around, it really doesn't matter how much it has rained or how cold it is outside; we all need a break. However, the kid in me starts getting antsy after too many days of video-watching or "fun reading" time when we should be outside, soaking up sunshine, fresh air, and all things that release the tension of the school day.

My solution? Just dance! Using Just Dance, Kids videos for indoor recess may quite possibly be the best discovery I have made all year long. The kids absolutely love to dance, and I love the fact that they have a fun way to really release their energy in the classroom. I am beginning to think that I may survive the winter now. (I don't care if the calendar says March; it's still winter in Mississippi.)

Here are a few of the dance videos that my students particularly love:






We also use this video randomly throughout the day. Anytime I notice that they need a quick break, I tell them we are going to "get our sillies out" and they get so excited. It takes less than two minutes to complete the video, but it makes such a difference in their attentiveness and focus after that. Oh, and did I mention that it's fun ?!?