Monday, March 4, 2013

So it Begins with Hats and Socks

Well, we have officially begun our week in Seussville! Our day kicked off with a somewhat shaky introduction to the text Fox in Socks. I absolutely love this tale, but I have to admit that I was a little nervous about reading it in front of the students. Those tongue twisters are no joke! I found a great video to coincide with our text, and I was just slightly tempted to let that do the work for me. I have a little too much pride for that, though. So I mustered up my nerve, gave a rousing introduction to the text and the term alliteration (try having your seven-year-old say that!), and we pressed on.

If you are wondering, alliteration is the repetition of a sound at the beginning of two or more neighboring words (as in "wild and wooly" or "babbling brook"). When a writer uses an excessive amount of alliteration, he/she creates a tongue twister. To say the least, Fox in Socks definitely contains an "excessive" amount of alliteration. I am proud relieved to say that I didn't butcher Dr. Seuss's work too much; it was a close call, though!




If Fox in Socks is new to you, this fun video tells the story:


My students really enjoyed watching this, and they were quick to tell me that my "Mr. Knox" voice wasn't as good as the one in the video. They were absolutely correct. ;)

We also have Dr. Seuss hats and crazy socks to coincide with our week in "Seussville."


All in all, our week is off to a great start. I will try to share other snippets of Fox in Socks adventures with you each day this week. 

I'll leave you with a few of my favorite comments/questions from today:

"Mrs. Tally, do we have math this afternoon? If we do, you know it can really only be Seussville math. I just can't do anything else today."

 "That crazy fox better learn to be nice, or he'll never get to second grade."

"Mrs. Tally, I don't think I should say those tongue-twisters. I have a loose tooth."

"Since we're talking about socks today, don't you think we should leave our shoes off all day?"