Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Are you a Fan?

This week's agenda includes a focus on compound sentences. We have really had so much fun working on conjunctions over the past couple of weeks. My students just love the FANBOYS acronym, probably because I have been using a FANBOYS rap video that is available through Flocabulary. If you have a Flocabulary subscription, then you need to check it out; I was afraid it would be a little over my kids' heads, but they actually picked up on the lyrics quickly. It's a daily request now, which inevitably means I catch myself singing it far more often than I would like to admit.


If you don't have a Flocabulary subscription, you can always rely on Schoolhouse Rock to provide a fun sing-along.


As we transitioned to using conjunctions specifically for writing compound sentences, we began using this pocket-chart exercise as a center activity. I found this activity in the April/May 2013 issue of The Mailbox, and it has been a great addition to our center rotations this week. As you can see in the image below, I displayed five sentence starters, each followed by a different conjunction. To complete the activity, the student can put any of the conjunctions provided at the end of each sentence starter. Then, he/she writes each sentence starter along with the conjunction and completes the sentence to create a new compound sentence. If they finish the activity with time to spare, they can scramble the conjunctions and write different compound sentences. It's also a good idea to provide highlighters which students can use to highlight their commas before the conjunctions as they write (highlighters make every activity fun for my students).