Monday, April 15, 2013

Catching up with our Life Cycles

Last week, I shared some of our plans for our life cycles unit. I thought I would backtrack a bit and share some of our end products. As I said previously, we focused on the life cycles of butterflies and frogs. My students really enjoyed the cut-and-paste activities for the life cycles. They had a blast adding color to their flow maps. The follow-up informative writing assignment?? Eh... they did it, but as one of them explained to me, "Mrs. Tally, I would rather write about my opinion." Imagine that.




I provided an explicit model for informative writing with the butterfly life cycle. Later in the unit, when we focused on frogs, I encouraged the students to become more independent and write without my model. We created a large display for their writing outside our classroom. This week, we are going to create a few new activities to add to this display. More to come...