Monday, April 22, 2013

It's Earth Day!!!

I have been so excited about our Earth Day project because it combines art, poetry, and Earth Day awareness. Perfect for first-graders in April, right? I can't take credit for the activity itself; I was lucky enough to stumble across it in Lisa Frase's TPT store. This packet is a wonderful freebie that contains explicit instructions for the art exercise as well as Earth Day poems and poetry patterns from which students can choose. I love the poem patterns; my more independent writers really jumped at the opportunity to make the poems their own, while other students were provided with an excellent pattern to follow explicitly. With different options from which to choose, the students really had an opportunity to "create," rather than just replicate a model. The images below are samples from the original file, provided by Lisa Frase.


The following images are a few of my students' finished products!