Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What's the buzz all about?

Double-digit addition with regrouping. Oh. Em. Gee.

Okay, that's a slight exaggeration. The truth is that my students have accepted this skill fairly easily. They were ready to do "big kid math," and the concept of regrouping didn't scare them at all. They want to use the hundreds place so badly, so I've had to sneak a few "bonus" items into our assessments just to stretch their minds a bit. They just love numbers; the bigger, the better.

I found a cute bee-hive pattern with math facts, so I decided to use that for practice.




Of course they wanted to color it...


I believe that's the point at which I got a little carried away. I believe my thought process when something like this... It would be so cute if we actually cut these out and glued them together to look like a real beehive somehow. Black butcher paper would probably work just fine. Oh, what if we hang it up somewhere? That corner of the hallway could be a good spot...

Naturally, I ran straight to my assistant with the idea. She's always up for a good art extension activity, so check out the pictures below to see our mathematically-derived beehive!


Sometimes those little light-bulb ideas that spark brightly without warning or prior planning are the most exciting and rewarding moments of a day. Regardless, they are simply fun.