Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Few Things on a Thursday... Or Maybe One Simple Thing Today

It seems I have been unable to escape this idea of gratitude. I previously wrote about it in my post "Thank God for Grace, Gratitude, and Fruit" but the concept of being grateful keeps coming back to me in little ways each day. I think that sometimes we shroud our lives with a blanket of phrases that imply we are grateful. We mean well, but how often do we actually name things that make our life so full, so blessed? It's easy for us to say "thank you" for "family, home, health, job," and we certainly should be grateful for those things... but since when did our blessings cease to be specific? At the end of the day, we (definitely I) expect to feel some degree of satisfaction if we take a few minutes to thank our Creator for those basic blessings. How many God-breathed gifts bless our daily paths, without the slightest regard from us, their intended receivers? Maybe I'm the only one guilty of this, but I feel like blessings often get buried among the countless other things we have to do, notice, be, or obtain each day.

Less Stress, More Living
My favorite part of this quote is the last sentence, "Gratitude is not about ignoring the hard things in life..." How often do we feel almost overwhelmed with the idea of gratitude because there are so many hard things jumbled into our hearts that it seems gratitude cannot possibly coexist with the struggles in life? But maybe this is not a competition for space in our hearts. Maybe gratitude is supposed to coexist with the tough times. Maybe those struggles are actually there to help fuel our gratitude.

Handmade in the Heartland
Am I the only one who has felt this way?  

One of my guilty pleasures is making lists. LOTS of lists. Lots of things to do. Lots of places to go. Lots of lists to keep it all in order. Lots, lots, lots. This morning, I stumbled upon this image, and the following thought crossed my mind: What if each day revolved around a list like this?

Source unknown
That's all I have today -just one thing, really. Happy Thursday!