Friday, May 31, 2013

On the Menu: Green Smoothies!

Is it sad that I have been looking forward to this for a while??? I am so excited about trying this green smoothie recipe, and I love any preparation method that will prepare my breakfasts for several days (or a month) in advance, all at once! All Things G&D featured an awesome recipe for green smoothies in February. Not only is the recipe great, but the preparation suggests that you freeze the appropriate portions for future smoothies. Genius.

I am sharing the recipe and my own process here, but please give credit where it is due, and visit All Things G&D to see the original recipe and ideas. I am so grateful to have come across this awesome blog, and especially this post about green smoothies!

Ingredients:

1 c. Kale (stems removed, coarsely chopped, firmly packed)

1/2 c. Parsley (loosely packed)
1 Granny Smith Apple
1 Banana
2 1/4 c. water

(Recipe source: Whole Living)



This recipe actually makes two servings, so I cut the recipe in half to make a portion-size that is suitable for me. By the time I did that, I actually put together enough portions to make 8-10 full smoothies. That's 8-10 breakfasts, all bagged up, and ready to be thrown into the blender along with water when I am ready to make them. So while the prep work is a bit time consuming, it will be much easier to have a quick, tasty green smoothie on those pushed-for-time mornings. Also, as previously noted, you could do the prep work only once or twice per month and have all of your morning smoothies prepared ahead of time. That's my perfect-world plan! ;)



Directions:
Combine kale, apple, banana, parsley, and 2 1/4 cups water in a blender. 
Blend until smooth. 
(If the mixture is too thick, add a little more water.) 
Note: This recipe makes 2 servings. 


Nutritional Facts:
Per serving: 105 calories 
0 g saturated fat
 0 g unsaturated fat 
0 mg cholesterol
 26 g carbs
 32 mg sodium
 2 g protein
 4 g fiber.