Wednesday, May 29, 2013

On the Menu: Tacos with Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

"Laughter is brightest in the place where food is." - Irish Proverb

I have pinned ideas for several new recipes lately, and I am so excited to start with a new recipe tonight: Quinoa Stuffed Peppers! I came across this recipe at Easily diY, and it just looked too good to resist. You can also see the detailed original recipe at Jo and Sue. My recipe is a bit simpler than the original, but I really just tried to work with ingredients that I have in the cabinet. I don't keep a fresh stock of water chestnuts, so that ingredient (and a few others) were neglected on my part. I have so much fun using colorful bell peppers in recipes, and I quinoa has been one of my favorites for the past couple of years. Combining those two items just has to create a winner, right? I'm thinking so.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
1 cup water
1/2 can black beans
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1/4 tsp garlic salt
Sea salt & pepper seasoning

3 Sweet peppers, any color
1/4 cup cheese blend, shredded

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper or foil. Set aside.
Cook quinoa with water until done. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, mix black beans, peas, corn, tomatoes and green chilies, and all spices. Cook over medium heat until veggies are soft. 
Stir in cooked quinoa.


Cut tops off of peppers and place in 9x13 pan. 
Note: I didn't not use cheese in all of my peppers, so you may omit this part if you choose to do so. However, if you are using cheese, sprinkle shredded cheese onto the bottom of each pepper.


Fill peppers with the quinoa and veggies mixture. 
Sprinkle cheese on the top of the mixture (again, this part is optional).
Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes (depending on oven) until peppers are browned on top and softened around the edges. Serve hot!



While the peppers were baking, I whipped up a batch of tacos to complete our meal.
Viola!


I was really proud of my quinoa stuffed peppers. My husband, however, was extremely proud of the smiley-face he made with his pepper and a taco...