Monday, June 17, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading? 06/17/13



This Monday reading-list blog link-up is available through Teach Mentor Texts. This event was originally hosted by Book Journey, but I also love the idea of establishing a link-up with a kidlit focus. So once again, I am linking up with Teach Mentor Texts and sharing my recent "must reads," but I will also link up with Book Journey  since my "currently-reading" text does not fit into the children's literature genre.

Just Finished

Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. 
I originally grabbed this book as a quick read to fill my time in between Hunger Games trilogy books. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself pulled into the witty, emotionally-engaging narrative of young Abilene Tucker, as she struggles to balance the uncertainty of her new home in Manifest, Kansas with her longing for her father, along with her appropriately-childlike longings for play, mystery, and adventure in everyday life. Interwoven through her 1936 narrative is the 1918 tale of Manifest, a town with a delicately tragic past. I found myself completely absorbed in these characters and this town. However, I wouldn't recommend Moon Over Manifest as a beach-read. This is a book best enjoyed on a front porch with the blanket of a warm southern breeze and the refreshment of a southern iced tea. 

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.
This is the final book in the Hunger Games trilogy. I loved these books, but I think my favorite one is the second book, Catching Fire. Mockingjay left me with mixed emotions; I couldn't stop reading it, but I didn't always like what I was reading. I won't share any gruesome (and some of them would, indeed, be gruesome) details here, just in case some of you haven't read Mockingjay yet. I will say that, in the end, I was left with more of a "So-that's-how-it-ends?" feeling, rather than an "Oh-my-goodness-I-can't-believe-it's-over-and-I-have-to-read-this-again" feeling. You can't just stop reading after Catching Fire, but while reading Mockingjay, I really wanted all of it to just draw to the end. I felt very tired for those characters.



Currently ReadingSame Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore


To Read: The Alchemist (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) by Michael Scott


Also, if you are looking for an awesome reading adventure, (and if you ever had a secret obsession with The Gilmore Girls) you may want to check out the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge. This post includes a full list of books read or mentioned on The Gilmore Girls. That should keep you busy for a while!