Monday, June 24, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading? 06/24/13


This Monday reading-list blog link-up is available through Teach Mentor Texts. This event was originally hosted by Book Journey, but I also love the idea of establishing a link-up with a kidlit focus. So once again, I am linking up with Teach Mentor Texts and sharing my recent "must reads," but I will also link up with Book Journey  since my "Just Finished" text does not fit into the children's literature genre.

Just finished Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore

I'm not sure exactly what I expected when I began reading this book. My mother-in-law highly recommended it, so I thought I would enjoy it. I knew it would include a homeless man and a wealthy art dealer (the back of the book said so), and based on reviews, I thought it would be a good read. What I did not -in any way- expect, was an emotional, gut-wrenching story that revolved around the interwoven narratives of two astounding characters. I found myself completely absorbed in the lives of these two men who share their faults and misfortunes shamelessly, all the while shaping tales of very similar matter-of-fact faiths. I don't want to divulge too many details of this book, for the sake of those who have not yet read it, but I will say that these authors wrote this text as a tribute to a woman who lived her life with complete abandon to God's will for her time here. The details of the narrators' relationships with that woman leave you laughing, crying, hurting, and wanting to wrap your arms around every scrumptious blessing of your life, all that the same time. 

I have read other book reviews, in which readers criticized the "religious" undertones in this text. I can't refute that; these authors are shamelessly abandoned to Christ, and their understanding of a relationship with Him has carried them throughout their very tumultuous lives. It only makes sense that the same premise would guide them through the pages of their narratives as well.
   
"There's somethin I learned when I was homeless: Our limitation is God's opportunity. When you get all the way to the end of your rope and there ain't nothin you can do, that's when God takes over. I remember one time I was hunkered down in the hobo jungle with some folks. We was talking 'bout life, and this fella was talkin, said 'People think they're in control, but they ain't. The truth is, that which must befall thee must befall thee. And that which must pass thee by must past thee by'." ~Denver Moore

Currently ReadingThe Alchemist (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) by Michael Scott  

To Read: Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom