Thursday, June 20, 2013

On the Menu: Almond Flour Biscuits #FoodieFriday

So, I'm pretty excited to share my experience with this recipe, as well as participate in the Foodie Friday link-up through Home Maid Simple!
I found this original recipe at Coconut Mama. I've actually made these biscuits twice so far. The first time I made them, I had no problems, even though the recipe hints that the dough might be sticky and cumbersome. The second time I made them, however, I decided to cut the recipe in half. I think I might have gone a little heavy on the butter (nondairy) though, because the dough was way messier to deal with than the first time. So instead of actually cutting the dough into biscuits to bake, I literally just plopped a clump of dough on the pan and adopted a come-what-may attitude.

It appears that you cannot mess up the flavor of these biscuits. Does anyone else appreciate that statement?!?

While my final products did not necessarily look like typical biscuits, they were very tasty. We weren't at all disappointed!

I wish I had taken pictures the first time I baked these, because that batch actually looked pretty and tasted great. But why linger over presentation issues? ;)

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups almond flour (plus about 1 cup for dusting the dough as needed)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup dairy free buttery spread (or butter)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon agave nectar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, salt, and baking soda.
In a large bowl, blend together buttery spread, eggs, and agave.
Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until a nice dough forms.
Roll out dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper up to 1 1/2 inches thick.
Dust dough with extra almond flour if it is sticky and/or misbehaving.
Cut the dough into biscuits using a mason jar with a 3-inch wide mouth.
Using a spatula, transfer biscuits to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until biscuits are browned on the bottom edges.


Like I said, these don't look so impressive. If you remember a page scroll ago, though, I did not promise pretty; I promised tasty. I'm being brave here and sharing my "oops" of a presentation just because I think the recipe is worth sharing. I hope your biscuits look prettier than mine, but taste every bit as good! :)


*******

On a side note, I have to share my sincere excitement about being selected as the "50 Follower Giveaway Winner" at Learning with Mrs. Langley! She is sending me several resources from her TPT store, and I know they will be spectacular! I feel so honored! Make sure visit to her blog today.  :)