Friday, June 14, 2013

On the Menu: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip (or Raisin or Berry) Cookies

I know, I know: this recipe title is a bit confusing. I originally obtained this recipe from Clean Food by Terry Walters, and according to that recipe, you can use either raisins or chocolate chips (or both) to bake these cookies. I have tried it both ways, and the outcome has always been tasty. However, very few people in my family like raisins, so I don't use those quite as often now. Sometimes, I even like to use dried cranberries for an extra zing of flavor. So basically, this recipe is completely adaptable, depending on your personal preferences and tastebuds. I love to make these cookies, and I have yet to meet a person who did not love to eat them!

Ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup unbleached white flour (or brown rice flour)
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut *
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1/2 cup semisweet dark chocolate chips or raisins or dried cranberries

Note: This recipe makes approximately 2 dozen cookies.

*We aren't big fans of coconut, so I leave this ingredient out. Again, this depends on your preference!

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine oats, flour,
coconut (if you use it), cinnamon, and salt. 
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together maple syrup, oil, and vanilla. 
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until evenly combined.


4. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips (or raisins or dried cranberries).


5. Press dough into equal-sized balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake for
15 minutes (or until lightly browned). 


That's it! I can guarantee that the hardest part will be trying not to eat them all at once!


If I can make any recommendation for baking these cookies, it would be to make sure you use enough maple syrup. Follow the recipe closely for that ingredient, and if anything, use a little extra. If you use too little, the cookies will be too dry. Use the right amount, however, and they will have a nice, moist texture.

If you experiment with a new ingredient, please comment and let me know!