- First Grade Surveys The students completed this writing/drawing activity to share a little information about themselves at the beginning of the school year. It's true; we had some sad faces at the beginning of the day. I am happy to report that those first-day jitters didn't last too long! :)
- Circle Map of Good Behavior at School The students volunteered their ideas about good behavior before we talked about Classroom Expectations.
- Get to Know Your Teachers After a get-to-know-your-teachers activity in which we shared our own teacher "Me-Bags," the students completed a drawing and writing activity to show what they learned about their new teachers. You just have to be careful with these activities; your students' drawings of you are not always the most flattering... don't take it personally if you aren't pretty on paper. ;)
- Graph: How We Go Home The students created a whole-class graph to show all the ways we go home at the end of the day.
- Graph: Our Favorite Colors The students created a whole-class graph of their favorite colors.
- Link of Friends The students created small, craft-representations of themselves and made a link of friends along the wall.
- Show what you know! We managed to complete a few very basic preassessments to help me better understand where some of my new kiddos are beginning the year academically. A few of my girls enjoyed using bedazzling jewels to help them appropriately space their letters while writing.
Our favorite books this week were:
Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes and Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathmann.
What are some of your favorite activities and books from the first days of school?