Friday, September 6, 2013

On the Menu: Peanut Butter Cup Brownies

Happy Friday! Since I had a little food fun to share with you today, I thought I would also participate in the Foodie Friday link-up through Home Maid Simple!

I originally came across these amazing, but probably sinful, treats on Pinterest, and you can find the original recipe at Cake. However, I apparently lack the control of the original baker because I could not bear to make the bite-sized, mini-muffin version of these. I had to go full-sized.

I also have to warn you; these are not, in any way, a healthy option, version, or sweet-treat substitute. I try to adhere to an organic, clean-eating agenda as much as possible... but one day I found a package of brownie mix in the cabinet, and I just could not let that go to waste. In the end, I opted for these full-sized, peanut butter cup brownies.

I have no regrets (in spite of the damage these may have done to my waistline). Sometimes, you just need to indulge a bit.

Ingredients:
1 package of fudge brownie mix (and all necessary ingredients as specified by the package)
1/2 cup peanut butter and milk chocolate chips/morsels
1/2 cup peanut butter (melted)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin pan to prepare for 7-8 muffins (depending on your preference for muffin sizes)

Prepare brownie mix as specified on package. However, instead of using a muffin pan, spoon batter evenly into muffin cups.
Bake muffins for 15-20 minutes (oven cooking times may vary) or until tops are set and toothpick comes out slightly wet after inserted into the center.
Once brownie muffins are baked, wait for centers to fall. I made the mistake of baking mine just a minute too long, and if that happens, you can use a spoon to tap the center. You want to create a nice hole for the peanut butter. 
Spoon peanut butter into a small, microwave-safe dish. Heat peanut butter for about 35 seconds, and then stir. While brownies are still warm, pour (or spoon) melted peanut butter into the center of each brownie.
Next, top each brownie with chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. 
 Allow the brownies to cool completely before removing from the pan. Once cooled, you may want to drizzle melted peanut butter across the top.
 If you, like my husband, just have to have ice cream with these brownies, you can also drizzle any remaining melted peanut butter over the ice cream to create a nice little finishing touch. Personally, I think this picture belongs on a dessert menu somewhere, don't you?!? ;)