Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Apples, Apples, and More Apples!

In honor of autumn, our classroom has been full of apple-themed activities and learning experiences. There's so much apple-loving learning opportunities out there, and it has been really hard to limit myself to just a few. In case you haven't noticed, I can get a little carried away with seasonal appreciation. These have been a few of our recent apple-related activities.

  • Johnny Appleseed (of course!)
We read a story about the life and legend of Johnny Appleseed, and completed a corresponding sequencing activity. Then, the students used the sequencing exercise to create their own Johnny Appleseed books.



We also made our own Johnny Appleseed-themed hats, but for some reason I can't seem to find the picture I took of those... :( 
  • Apple Life Cycle
Scholastic Weekly Reader printed a terrific edition about the life cycle of apples. After that, we used this awesome Apple Life Cycle Crown, provided by The Primary Techie, to create our own visual models for the life cycle of an apple.

This is a wonderful freebie, so hop on over to The Primary Techie, and grab this tool for your own classroom or child!


  • Apple Tasting/Graph
We tasted red, yellow, and green apples. Then, each student selected his/her favorite apple, and we created a whole-class graph with the results. This is a simple, but festive way for students to collaborate on a whole-group project that is simultaneously unique and personal for them. It always seems to be a favorite. 

  • Apple Orchard Nouns Sort
One of my fellow first grade teachers came across this activity and was so generous to share it with us. My students are using it as a center activity this week, and they are just loving it! I'm sorry that I don't have the link to share with you here, but if you happen to come across it or know the source, please feel free to leave the link in a comment. I always like to link back to original sources, and I am sorry to say I don't have the source for this one.



Happy Wednesday, everyone! :)