Monday, October 14, 2013

DIY: 12 Ways to Make a Burlap Bow

I am excited to announce that The Tally Tales is going to host a 12-week do-it-yourself series that focuses on making burlap bows. Each Monday, I will feature a different bow style, and while the main component of the bow will be a burlap ribbon of some type, I will also incorporate a variety of different materials as accents and embellishments.

I have had a lot of feedback about my wreaths, with particular interest in the bows. I considered posting a standard tutorial for making a bow, but I had trouble deciding on a specific style to feature. There are so many options! In preparation for the holiday season, I will focus on Christmas styles. The neat part of this is that the principles I incorporate here can easily be applied to gift wrapping as well, so you can transfer these tips into areas outside crafting at this time of year.

I will feature 12 different styles, which will carry us through the end of the year! I hope you will join me here each Monday for a bow-making tutorial! I am also excited to be able to join the Creative Corner Hop blog link-up at Cherished HandmadeTreasures each Monday!

For today's project, I am making this bow...

To begin, start with basic burlap ribbon of any style or pattern. I chose this pretty green chevron. You will also need a skinny, wired ribbon. I used this sheer white ribbon.

You will need a base for your bow. I planned to attach this bow to a wreath, so the wire loop served as my base. Weave the wired ribbon under the bottom. This will serve as the base for your bow. (If you want a free-standing bow, then the wired ribbon itself will serve as a base, and you can just lay it flat on  the surface of your table/countertop.)

This bow will be a basic shoe-string bow. Start with one fold over. Leave a "tail," and create cinched fold in the middle of the fold. 
Fold back again the opposite way to create the loop on the opposite side. Again, cinch the bow in the middle, just behind the previous fold. 

Lay the bow on top of the base (or the original wired ribbon if you are making a free-standing bow).
 Pull the wired ribbon tightly around the sides and tie it tightly in the center.
Cut the ribbon to create a second tail that is even in length with the first one. 
This is the basic bow style for a shoestring bow. You can stop here if you are satisfied! 
I chose to add a few accents, so the following instructions cater to additional embellishments. I decided to add this alternate style for a burlap ribbon embellishment.
Create several even folds with the ribbon, and then cut along the folds to make several strips that are close to the same length.
 
Layer the strips in a criss-cross pattern. Then, cinch the strips in the middle.
 Pull the wired ribbon tightly around the sides and tie it tightly in the center.
I added a sparkly "Merry Christmas" ornament by looping the string tie through the wired ribbon (again).
 For one final embellishment, I cut one short strip of polka dot, glittered ribbon. Cinch it in the middle.
Lay the glittered ribbon across the bow, on the top of the ornament string.  Pull the wired ribbon tightly around the sides and tie it tightly in the center.
 Tie the wired ribbon in a basic shoestring tie.
That is all!

Here are a few pictures of the bow on one of my Christmas wreaths.


If you follow my tutorial, please share pictures of your bow. I always love to see how other projects turn out. I hope this was helpful!