Monday, December 2, 2013

DIY: 12 Ways to Make a Burlap Bow, Part 8

Hello, friends! I know; I haven't been around very much lately, and I have a great explanation for all of that, which I will share with you later (ahem, tomorrow). Today, however, we are back on track with our DIY series! 
This post will feature part 8 of a 12-week DIY series that focuses on making burlap bows. As usual, I am joining the Creative Corner Hop blog link-up at Cherished Treasures, as are many talented do-it-yourselfers; be sure to hop on over and visit a few other creative projects there today!

Today's project will focus on this bow…
I created this bow as an embellishment for a wreath. After making the wreath, I selected one wire-edge cloth ribbon to serve as my base for the bow. I tied the ribbon around one portion of the wreath, where would attach the bow. Regardless of the specific purpose for your bow, you need one ribbon to serve as a base, which attaches the bow to any item of your choice. 
For this particular style, cut two strips of a patterned burlap ribbon. For my bow, I chose this green chevron burlap ribbon. Stack the ribbon strips, and cinch them in the middle, as seen below.
Lay the ribbon on top of the base knot. I waited until after I created the bow to actually attach these strips, but you can see from the picture below that this creates a nice layered background for your bow.
 To begin making the bow, select a solid-colored burlap ribbon. Start with one fold over. Leave a "tail," and cinch the ribbon in the middle. For this particular bow, I left a longer tail than normal because I wanted to have excess ribbon hanging beneath the bow. 
 Fold back again the opposite way to create the loop on the opposite side. Again, cinch the bow in the middle, just behind the previous fold. 
 Continue this pattern to create two loops on both sides.
 Lay the bow on top of the base and the patterned burlap strips. Pull the cloth, wired ribbon around both sides, wrapping it around both the patterned strips of ribbon and the bow itself. 
 Tie a knot securely at the middle of the bow, where you have cinched the ribbon to create each loop. 
 Fluff the bow to create the look you want. 
 Then, tuck the remaining cloth ribbon in around both sides to create the appearance of an additional, smaller bow in the center. I did not actually attach this ribbon to anything; since it is a wired ribbon, it is easy to manipulate, and it is sufficient to tuck it under one of the folds of the bow.
 Here are a few shots of my finished bow...

 And here are some images of the finished wreath...