Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Close Reading Materials: Updated

In December, I posted an article about the importance of reading at home for students. It included a link to a freebie for a parent letter available in my TPT store. If you missed that post, you can view it here. I continue to encourage my parents to read with their children at home, and those who do have such an impact on their child's progress at school.

Lately, I've noticed an increased demand for close reading materials. I have a TPT product that exclusively focuses on Close Reading Materials, and it is one of my best sellers. Considering this, I have been a bit convicted that I do not provide enough extension opportunities between close reading at school and close reading at home… it can happen there too, right?  That being said, I have modified my Close Reading Materials product to include an alternate version of the reading task cards.

These task cards are still aligned specifically to Common Core standards; however, I removed the standard specification on each task card. You can print each page and send it home with students who may need a little extra support responding to what they read. Not only that, but it provides parents with a way to apply the same standards and expectations for reading dialogue at home that you are implementing each day at school.

I made sure to continue providing color and black-and-white versions for both. I know how precious that ink is! If interested, you can access these along with other close reading resources here.