Thursday, January 9, 2014

DIY: Stenciled Table Refinish

I came across an amazing tutorial for a paisley stenciled table at Domestic Imperfection, and I decided to try the same idea in combination with a little chalk-paint job on the legs of the table to add a vintaged appearance to the finished product. The overall project is still unfinished; I intend to redo the chairs as well. I thought I would share the first part of this little project now, and I'll follow-up with the chairs later.

I started with this table. I sanded down the top surface to strip the original finish.
Next, I used a large stencil to paint a design over the top of the table with basic white paint. Since my stencil did not cover the entire table, I had to paint sections, as you can see below. I used painter's tape to secure the stencil as I painted.
 This is the finished design on the table top.
 While I waited on the paint to dry on the surface of the table, I added a coat of chalk paint to the legs.
By the time I finished painting the legs, the paint had dried on the surface of the table. So I used a dark wood stain to cover the top surface of the table, over the design. You can see the transition in the image below.
While the stain dried on the surface, I added a wax coating to the chalk paint on the legs. This little task adds a vintage appearance to the paint job. If you want to know more about this process, you can visit this earlier tutorial that provides more detail about chalk paint and wax projects: Step-by-Step Pallet Tray Tutorial.
Here's the finished table! I am excited to get started on the chairs as well, so I hope I have time to tackle those in the near future. In the meantime, I have no idea what I'm going to do with this little treasure… any suggestions???


Note: Please visit my "Let's Party!" page to view blog parties where I am sharing this tutorial.