Friday, January 10, 2014

Five for Friday: January 10, 2014


This week has revolved around school, and I don't know about you, but it has been hard to get back into the swing of things. I've enjoyed kicking of the new year with my firsties, though! Here are a few highlights…

  • Our first day back began with a full discussion of new year's resolutions. My kids really enjoyed an online read-aloud of Squirrel's New Year's Resolution. Then, the students shared their own ideas for resolutions. 

  • I was really impressed with their little resolutions. They're so ambitious!



  • The final products (self-portraits with tear-art party hats) turned out pretty well.
  • Our staff began the week with a professional development training session that focused on Singapore math. We don't use this curriculum at our school, but there are some components of it that we were encouraged to incorporate into our instruction along with our curriculum. This little acronym is intended for math word problems. I began using it with my students this week, and it has already helped structure their approach to better understand word problems. 

  • On a personal note, this little treasure arrived on our doorstep this week. I finally created a wedding book with some of our wedding photos. It only took me a little over a year to actually tackle that. Better late than never, though, right???

I created our book through Shutterfly. This is the digital version, available for viewing if you are interested in browsing for a closer look. 

Happy Friday, everyone!!!! :)