Monday, January 6, 2014

It's Monday! What are you Reading? 01-06-13

It really has been forever since I have linked up with reading reviews. My Mondays have been focused on a DIY series for the past 12 weeks, so today I'm happy to be connected again with a little bit of reading action. Make sure you join the link-up if you want to share your recent reads this Monday!

This Monday reading-list blog link-up is available through Teach Mentor Texts. This event was originally hosted by Book Journey, but I also love the idea of establishing a link-up with a kidlit focus. Therefore, I am linking up with Teach Mentor Texts and sharing my recent "must reads," but I will also link up with Book Journey  since some of my texts fall outside the kidlit genre.

Just Finished
The Greatest Gift by Ann Voskamp
I cannot imagine a greater read for any December than this text. Wonderfully written in Ann Voskamp's signature intimate, share-my-life-over-coffee style of writing, The Greatest Gift is full of snippets of grace and hope that will redirect your focus through the Christmas season. We spend so much time preparing our homes, meals, and gifts during the holiday season; this text is solely focused on preparing your heart. I sincerely cherished each word. This is a text I will pull off the shelf to reread each year. 

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum
While I can't say that I necessarily agreed with every viewpoint the author shared in his writing, I did enjoy reading this text. I know there are some debates as to the relevance of this text, based upon the title itself. Some say that the text is immature, that the concept of learning all of life's greatest lessons in Kindergarten is weakly developed and diminishes the value of a full life. I think that if you're basing the full text on the title alone, you are missing the point. It is my personal opinion that the author sought to trace his own life experiences back to foundational truths he learned early in life. He does not say that he stopped learning after Kindergarten; in fact, Fulghum sites multiple instances in which he showed initiative to grow in knowledge of various topics throughout his adult life. He merely asserts that the basic principles of his life are linked to lessons he learned early on about relationships and human interactions. Personally, I was interested to read about the author's perceptions of daily life. He offers interesting viewpoints on everyday experiences, and his writing is casual, as if chatting with a friend over coffee.

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
I wasn't sure exactly what to expect when I began reading Hoot. I felt that the story was a bit slow to get started for me. However, as I continued reading, I did find the plot to be engaging- particularly when considering the intended grade level for this text (middle level/grades). My personal interest with this text focused not so much on the environmental theme of the story, but more on the moral message underlying the main character's decision-making process. A young boy learns that, at times, doing the "wrong" thing ultimately produces the "right" results for the better good.

   
 

Currently Reading


This will be an ongoing read for a while.
This will be an ongoing read for a while.













To Read