Monday, January 27, 2014

It's Monday! What are you Reading? 01-27-14

Starting the week with a little book love...

This Monday reading-list blog link-up is available through Teach Mentor Texts. This event was originally hosted by Book Journey, but I also love the idea of establishing a link-up with a kidlit focus. Therefore, I am linking up with Teach Mentor Texts and sharing my recent "must reads," but I will also link up with Book Journey  since some of my texts fall outside the kidlit genre.

Just Finished
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The only reader reviews/responses I have encountered toward this book have been raving with support and favor. My own review will join the club. To say that I know anything about the personal thoughts and experiences of a cancer patient would be a lie. Therefore, this story, written from the perspective Hazel, a teenager who suffers from lung cancer, revealed to me a world of thoughts and insights that seemed altogether foreign. At the same time, I was irresistibly drawn into that story, and I was captivated by the struggles, the pain, the raw emotion on every page. This isn't a feel-good book with a happy ending; it's a raw, emotional tale of struggle with a final resolution. 

And it's worth every minute of reading. 

I was surprised by the dynamics of the characters throughout this story. Green left no character undeveloped, and for that reason, each detail of the plot carries weight. Each name has a story within the complex narrative. This is, without a doubt, a 5-star read -not because it leaves you with a "happy feeling" when you are finished reading, but because you will, without a doubt, close the cover on the last page and utter a breathless, "Wow." 

Currently Reading
This will be an ongoing read for a while.
This will be an ongoing read for a while.
To Read: