Friday, February 7, 2014

Five for Friday: February 7, 2014

Happy Friday! Unlike many of you, I have not been snowed in this week. We have been working hard … and having a little bit of learning fun along the way. I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching to share a few of this week's little projects in our classroom. 
  • Our unit story this week is The Kite, and we are focusing on long i spelling patterns. Our students have been so excited to create their own Long i spelling kites.



  • In another center, the students are reading a story titled The Ant and the Grasshopper. Their word work task for this center requires them to recreate an illustration from the text and "hide" their spelling words within the picture. I have been so impressed with their creative illustrations!




  • One of my fellow teachers discovered this activity. I'm sure it's on TPT somewhere, but I don't know the specific link or store. If you have used this product before and can provide me with the specific store or link, please feel free to comment. I would love to give credit where it is due for this one! My kids have loved using the spinner to build and add double-digit addition problems. For additional support, they are using highlighters to outline the numbers in the ones place. This little technique is helpful for reminding them to start there when adding two-digit numbers.


  •  Last, but certainly not least, we have been learning about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln in preparation for Presidents' Day. This George Washington craft features a short-but-sweet poem in the center.  


This Abraham Lincoln craft is one of my favorites. Not only is it creative, but the writing task requires a bit more independence. The students have to gather information from various texts they read in the center and use new information they learn from the texts to write facts about Lincoln inside the hat.

That's all for me; I hope you have all had a wonderful week!