Monday, February 3, 2014

It's Monday! What are you Reading? 02-03-14

Happy February! My weekly dose of book love...

This Monday reading-list blog link-up is available through Teach Mentor Texts. This event was originally hosted by Book Journey, but I also love the idea of establishing a link-up with a kidlit focus. Therefore, I am linking up with Teach Mentor Texts and sharing my recent "must reads," but I will also link up with Book Journey  since some of my texts fall outside the kidlit genre.

Just Finished

The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls.
This is an interesting read. I enjoyed the narrative of this story; several rather serious, "adult" issues are depicted through the eyes of a 12-year-old girl, and I thought the author did a great job of capturing the innocent complexity of that narrative. I could have had unrealistic expectations, but there were moments, at the climax of the plot, during which I felt like I wanted more from the story itself. The plot has a clear resolution, so no there are no unanswered questions. Still, I felt that the resolution was a bit too clear, almost rushed at one point (no spoilers here!). Overall, I enjoyed reading The Silver Star, but it probably won't be one of those that I set to the side with the intention to read again multiple times. 
Currently Reading
This will be an ongoing read for a while.
This will be an ongoing read for a while.
To Read: