Monday, February 17, 2014

It's Monday! What are you Reading? 02-17-14

Here's my weekly dose of book love...

This Monday reading-list blog link-up is available through Teach Mentor Texts. This event was originally hosted by Book Journey, but I also love the idea of establishing a link-up with a kidlit focus. Therefore, I am linking up with Teach Mentor Texts and sharing my recent "must reads," but I will also link up with Book Journey  since some of my texts fall outside the kidlit genre.

Just Finished

The Shack by Wm. Paul Young
It's hard to write a review for this book. I hope none of my comments here will be taken in an offensive way, but I have to be honest in sharing my thoughts. First of all, when considering the writing style alone of this text, I am not impressed. The dialogue often seemed very bland and predictable, and I found myself frequently "skimming" portions of the text just because they lacked the depth to really hold my focus on an intense level. So you have to take the writing technique and style very lightly when reading this text. That being said, the content of the plot (not necessarily the way it was written) was thought-provoking for me at times. This story does push you to stretch your theological perspectives a bit, and for that reason, it did fascinate me in a way. I alternated between feeling convicted that my view of God is apparently so shallow as to deem the situations in this text implausible and feeling a bit offended that a mere fictional text presumed to adequately "capture" the identity and thoughts of Almighty God. So where do you draw the line? At the end of the day, no one could write a story that altogether depicts God and answers all unanswered questions, simply because no human has that depth of understanding. Still, I have to appreciate this author's attempt to write a story that does challenge readers to reconsider their own approaches to a relationship with God.
Currently Reading
This will be an ongoing read for a while.
This will be an ongoing read for a while.
To Read: