Sunday, February 23, 2014

It's Monday! What are you Reading? 02-24-14

Here's my weekly dose of book love...

This Monday reading-list blog link-up is available through Teach Mentor Texts. This event was originally hosted by Book Journey, but I also love the idea of establishing a link-up with a kidlit focus. Therefore, I am linking up with Teach Mentor Texts and sharing my recent "must reads," but I will also link up with Book Journey  since some of my texts fall outside the kidlit genre.

Just Finished

I know I sound negative, because I did not have the highest praise in my "just finished" review last week either, but this book was a bit of a disappointment to me. After reading the rather heavy, intense-in-context book The Shack, I wanted to switch pace a bit with an easy read that would also be fulfilling and maintain my interest. I thought a Nicholas Sparks novel would be perfect. Maybe it's been too long since I last read a book by Sparks, or maybe this one just really is a bit out-of-the-ordinary. Regardless, it wasn't what I expected. There was a bit more action that I originally anticipated from the plot, but at the same time, it was rather surreal and unbelievable most of the time. Not only that, but the ending seemed very strange to me. I don't want to give away too much information for anyone who is interested in reading this text, but I will say that I thought the outcome was predictable and, at the same time, a bit creepy. In the past, I have usually enjoyed reading Nicholas Sparks's novels, because he is an excellent storyteller… but this one let me down. 

Currently Reading
This will be an ongoing read for a while.
This will be an ongoing read for a while.

To Read: