Thursday, March 6, 2014

Five for Friday: March 7, 2014

I missed this link-up last week, so I need to catch up a bit! These past two weeks have been so very busy! I'm back on track and linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching this week. :)
  • This week, we have been learning about outer space, and my kiddos have been so very interested in anything space-related. This little arts integration activity is a creative way to practice building a fact family within a space scene.

  • I think this activity has been the favorite this week, probably because the students got to use spray bottles. I can't blame them; it's pretty neat. First, they used markers to create an Earth design on a white coffee filter.

Then, they sprayed water onto the colored coffee filters.
The water creates such a vibrant blend of colors. How neat is that?
  • After creating the coffee-filter Earth, each student built a "rocket man."

We attached the earth to the background beside the rocket man. They were so proud of these space scenes!

  • In the hallway, it almost looks as if we have quite a few astronauts floating away from the earth.

  • Our next unit of study will focus on inventors and inventions. I prepared this large "thinking map" light bulb that we will use on our first day as we begin learning about various inventors. 

The circle maps are available in a free graphic organizers kit in Education to the Core's TPT store. This particular inventor pack is available here if you are interested.


I hope you have a truly wonderful, beautiful weekend! Happy Friday!