Monday, March 24, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading? 03-24-14

Here's my weekly dose of book love...

This Monday reading-list blog link-up is available through Teach Mentor Texts. This event was originally hosted by Book Journey, but I also love the idea of establishing a link-up with a kidlit focus. Therefore, I am linking up with Teach Mentor Texts and sharing my recent "must reads," but I will also link up with Book Journey  since some of my texts fall outside the kidlit genre.

Just Finished

The Case of the Cool-Itch Kid by Patricia Reilly Giff
This is a lively, imaginative, and altogether realistic tale of a young girl attending summer camp for the first time. Young readers who enjoy sassy characters, much like Junie B. Jones, will find another favorite character in Dawn Bosco. An engaging read with many potential connections for readers of all ages.

Divergent by Veronica Roth

I won't spent a great amount of time detailing my opinion of this text. I was really excited about reading Divergent  so many people told me it was incredible, and with the release of the movie this month, I was eager to read it before going to see it on the big screen.

Then I read it. As I read, I found myself thinking, "This is almost The Hunger Games… but not quite."

There are many similarities between the two texts, and I could write an essay drawing parallels between them, but at the end of a lengthy argument, my summary statement would be something like the following: I'm not a huge fan of Veronica Roth's writing style, and the entire plot felt eerily similar to The Hunger Games. I really, really loved The Hunger Games. Divergent just felt like a copycat text. Had I read Divergent first, I might have felt differently… maybe. But it's doubtful.

I can close Divergent without jumping headfirst into the second book in the trilogy, and I'll be okay. For that reason, it's a 3-star read at best.



Currently Reading
This will be an ongoing read for a while.
This will be an ongoing read for a while.

To Read:

Happy reading, friends! :)