Monday, March 24, 2014

On the Menu: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

    I recently had one of those nights in which I just had to have something warm, baked, and sweet. I frantically started searching the cabinets and my cookbooks for a recipe that would work. This particular recipe was adapted from Alicia C. Simpson's Vegan Comfort Food. I changed the ingredients a bit to fit what I had on hand at the time, and the outcome was perfect for me. You can always substitute ingredients that fit your preferences, but I had a really great experience with this combination.                                               Also, I have to note that this was my first experience with using applesauce in a baking recipe, and I think it will become a staple ingredient for my baked goods in the future. If you've never tried it before, let this be your first time; you won't be sorry!             Okay, on to the good stuff...
Ingredients:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup non-dairy butter
1/4 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Blend the granulated sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter, non-dairy butter, and almond milk with an electric mixer until the mixture develops a creamy texture. Then, beat in the applesauce until it is evenly blended.
Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a separate bowl. 
Add this mixture to the peanut butter mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, blending well after each addition is made. 
 Fold in the chocolate chips to complete the batter.
Use a teaspoon to scoop out pieces of dough and roll them into one-inch balls. I have this handy little cookie dough scooper, and while it's perfect for this task, you could just as easily use a teaspoon. 
Place the balls about two inches apart on a cookie sheet, and use a fork to flatten them in a criss-cross pattern. 
Bake for ten minutes, or until they are a light golden brown color. 
Remove from the baking sheet, cool, and enjoy!