Monday, March 3, 2014

On the Menu: Strawberry Heart Pie

Hear me clearly: I cannot take credit for this recipe. At all. I merely ran across it (on Pinterest, I'm sure) and followed the recipe provided by Miss Buttercup very closely; there are few changes or adjustments in my recipe here.  I just enjoyed this recipe so much, and I wanted to share my experience with this fun, easy, oh-so-delicious treat. However, if you want to give credit where it is due, please pay Miss Buttercup a visit and enjoy her incredible blog. She has tons of amazing recipes. After a quick glimpse at pictures of her pie, you will be quite certain that I have a lot to learn! :)

This, is my strawberry heart pie...

And this is how I made it...

Ingredients:
3 – 4 cups of strawberries (cut into chunks)
Frozen pie crusts (will need 2-4, depending on how many hearts you want to cut)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1 egg yolk

Directions:
In a bowl, coat strawberries with sugar. Add strawberries to water and cornstarch in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. This takes approximately ten minutes. 
Meanwhile, use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut small hearts out of one of the pie crusts. I actually used two pie crusts to cut all of my hearts out. You may use more or less, but it's safe to have plenty of pie crusts on hand, just in case.
Brush the tops of the hearts with egg wash. (Note: To make "egg wash," simply wisk the egg in a bowl until the white and the yolk are mixed well together.)
Once the strawberry pie filling cools, pour it into a pie crust. Then, begin placing the hearts securely on top of the pie, arranging them in a circular pattern and slightly overlapping the edges as you go.
Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Then reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes until the filling bubbles.
I made this strawberry heart pie as a Valentine's Day treat, but it was so good that I'm pretty sure it will become a regularly-requested dessert around our house.