Friday, April 11, 2014

Five for Friday: April 11, 2014


It's been a couple of weeks since I have linked up with my five. This week has been particularly busy for our classroom, and I am excited to be able to share some of our recent busyness here. :)

This recent art activity has been a great opportunity for the students to demonstrate what they have learned about the water cycle so far. I am still beyond grateful for the use of the water cycle song, because it has made the process of learning those long words so much easier for my little firsties! (If you missed my earlier post and are interested in using the water cycle song with your students, you can just click here.)



This simple science experiment has been a wonderful way for our students to make observations of the water cycle in action. Simply put a little water in in a zip-lock bag and tape it to a window. Over the next several days, students can see the process of condensation as "clouds" form along the plastic inside the bag.
I found this neat observation page somewhere in my filing cabinet (don't you love it when you stumble upon an already-made activity?) and we have used it to record our observations throughout the week.


As we transitioned into a plant theme, these lovely flowers have provided a great thematic activity that incorporated word work into our centers.

Yes, we have also included a seasonal (all seasons, that is) activity in our plants study. This window pane craft has been one of my favorites lately. Each student created one tree that depicts each of the four seasons in the different parts of the window pane. It was a bit challenging for them to compartmentalize each season onto different sections of the same tree, but I think their final projects turned out well.




In other news, my brother-in-law is getting married tomorrow, so we are getting ready for a lovely wedding weekend. These little rehearsal dinner accents have been in the works at my house for a while now. I can't wait to see it all come together. :)

I hope you have a lovely weekend!