Sunday, April 13, 2014

On the Menu: Almond-Crusted Cheesy Squash Casserole

I am so excited to share this recipe with you all! I recently put this dish together one night when I decided to mix together a few ingredients I had on hand. The outcome was surprisingly tasty! So after a couple of trial runs (to make sure I wasn't just lucky the first time) I think it's safe to pass along. ;) This will definitely be a favorite dish at our house this summer!
Ingredients:
1-2 eggs
1 cup almond flour (or almond meal)
2 medium-sized yellow squash
1 tomato
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
shredded cheese (use as desired)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Slice squash into relatively thin slices.

Make an egg wash by beating eggs until the whites and the yolks are well blended.

Dip each slice into the egg wash. Then, place the squash into the almond flour, flipping it to coat both sides in the flour.

Place each coated piece along the bottom of a baking dish, lightly coated with cooking spray. Create one layer across the bottom of the dish.


Continue the process to create another layer of squash.


Slice the tomato, and spread the slices evenly across the top layer of squash.


Bake, covered, for 15 minutes.
Uncover, and sprinkle garlic powder and sea salt evenly across the top of the casserole.
Continue baking, covered, for an additional 15 minutes. 

Uncover and sprinkle cheese on the top of the casserole.
Bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is thoroughly melted.


Scoop out a serving, and enjoy!



If you try my recipe, please feel free to share your thoughts. I would love to hear about your experience. I hope you enjoy it!