Saturday, May 10, 2014

Happy Mother's Day! First Grade Gifts...

Not that anyone really needs to be reminded why moms can be pretty special people in our lives, but in case you were wondering… 

My first graders had these ideas to share about their mothers, why they are special, and why they love them:

After we brainstormed a bit, I provided some sentence starters for my kiddos to finish. Fellow teachers, have you experienced an amazing improvement in focus, neatness, and quality of work when your children are making "gifts" for their mothers? I don't think my classroom has ever been as quiet as it was during their writing time for these little projects…!

After their writing was complete, my students used stencils to trace and cut butterfly wings from construction paper of their color choice.

They glued the butterfly parts to the outside of the card, which was created with a fold on both sides.






 
Then, the butterfly opened up to reveal their writing for their mother inside!


We had some very unique, beautiful butterfly cards to send home at the end of the day. The kids were so proud, and some of their writing almost made me cry! 


I hope all you mothers out there have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!