Friday, June 13, 2014

On the Menu: Southwestern Crockpot Chicken {Eat Clean}


I found this recipe over at The Gracious Pantry, and I am so glad I gave it a try. I tend to love most crockpot recipes, but this one may be a new favorite. It is easy, healthy, and so tasty. I did make few slight changes to the recipe when I made this dish, so you may want to visit the original recipe, just in case you prefer her version. I doubt you could go wrong with this one, either way.



Ingredients:
4 raw, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used chicken breast cutlets)
1 15 oz can of organic pinto beans (drained)
1 15 oz can of organic black beans
2 fresh large tomatoes, diced*
1 pound frozen corn (thaw first)
1 jar of your preferred salsa (12-14 oz) 

So, just a few notes here: you don't have to use organic ingredients for this recipe. I just prefer to use organic products whenever possible. I also use organic chicken, but again, that's up to you. 

*Also, you may choose to use a can of diced tomatoes (28 oz) rather than dicing the tomatoes yourself. I typically prefer to use fresh tomatoes whenever possible, especially in the summer time. There are also some concerns about the safety of consuming canned tomatoes, and while there is so much information out there supporting both sides of the eat-clean debate, my personal philosophy is something like this: if you can dice a fresh tomato yourself -and possibly contribute to a healthier version of a recipe- why not skip the can? Also, it's important to note that tomatoes canned in glass containers are a safe alternative, since the can itself contains the greatest threat. 

Directions:
So. This is the easy part…

1. Place the chicken on the bottom of your crockpot. 
2. Pour the salsa and diced tomatoes over the chicken.
3. Layer on the beans and corn.
4. Cook on low for 5-7 hours, or until the chicken easily falls apart when the pot is stirred.

Easy enough, right? If you are wanting to have a well-themed meal, serve this dish with tortilla chips and a side of guacamole for an extra southwestern flair. :) 

Again, I adapted this recipe from Tiffany over at The Gracious Pantry. Please pay her a visit; her blog is full of wonderful recipes, and she includes nutritional information with each recipe as well! She posted a great nutritional content list for her version of this recipe as well!

I hope you enjoy! :)