I have managed to snap a few pictures here and there along the way, and I want to share some of our progress with you. This project is particularly dear to me. (Forgive the poor pictures; the lighting hasn't been the best to work with at times.)
So I started out with this door from my grandparents' home. It is at least eighty years old, and I really wanted to preserve it somehow as a feature in our home. I sanded down past the aging crinkle and crackle of the original paint. Surprisingly, much of the original coat remained, along with a real, authentic weathered look.
I lined all the edges of the center rectangles with painter's tape…
I removed the tape and coated the edges with a polyurethane coat. I really wanted to keep the original color on the door as well, and the polyurethane provided a nice finish to seal and protect the door from any future peeling.
Last, we (my father and husband… I really had nothing to do with this part!) installed the door on a sliding barn door mount. You can find these barn door installation kits at most of your standard hardware/home improvement stores, but I actually ordered ours from Amazon. It was about a third of the cost, and worked perfectly for us. I can't speak for heavier door models, and I'm not sure how well this would really hold up outside on an actual barn, but for our indoor, small-door use, it was perfect!
So there's a quick glimpse at some of the changes we have going on around here. We aren't finished yet, but we are getting close! I'll try to post room pictures soon!
I hope you blogger friends are doing well! :)