Monday, March 9, 2015

Whole Brain Teaching: Air Punctuation

In a recent training, I learned about air punctuation and how to use it to help enrich your students' experience with print. It fits wonderfully into my multi-sensory teaching techniques, but any teacher can incorporate these simple (but highly effective) concepts into daily classroom instruction.

It's pretty difficult to describe how to use air punctuation in print. So I've included the same videos here that were shared at our training session. It's pretty self-explanatory, and I hope you'll take a few minutes to view these videos and learn more about air punctuation if it's new to you.

In this video, teachers explain and demonstrate various components of air punctuation.

In this precious video, first grade students use these concepts of air punctuation to compose an oral essay. I love this video, because you can see the energy and enthusiasm that air punctuation brings to the classroom for these students. 



I have always incorporated various components of Whole Brain Teaching into my daily instruction, but air punctuation was new for me. After our training session, I immediately carried these concepts back to my classroom. My students loved it immediately. We use air punctuation each time we work on our sentence anagrams, and it provides such a rich opportunity for them to experience print.

What do you think? Can you use air punctuation with your students?

For more information about other aspects of whole brain teaching, go to http://wholebrainteaching.com.