Monday, July 20, 2015

Up Next: National Board Certification

I'm really excited (and a little nervous) to share some exciting news. This year,  I am going to begin pursuing National Board Certification. 

*gasp*

I know; It's a big step and a major commitment, especially since the certification process now extends over a three-year period. 

I've given this a lot of thought, though, and after attending a Standards Study workshop last week, I am pretty excited about this new endeavor. You may be a NBC teacher and know exactly how I feel at this moment. At the very least, you have probably heard so many things about NBC; I have as well. I've heard the ugly details; the scary, slightly scarier, and practically terrifying details. The thing is, I've also heard the good stuff… the really, really good stuff… about how it can transform your identity as a professional… About how it can make you the teacher you were truly meant to be … About how it can be the best thing you've ever done professionally. Well, I'm choosing to embrace those versions of this experience. The truth is that after spending some time learning more about this process, the standards, and the expectations, I really do believe this is what I need to push myself to become better

I have already identified areas in which I now feel the weakest, and I am targeting those as opportunities for the most growth. But who knows? As I learn more about myself, a few surprises may emerge as areas of even greater improvement! Either way, I am fully convinced that I need this, and if I'm honest with myself, I'm enough of a teacher nerd to be deeply energized by it. 

Still, I will admit: clicking submit on that final registration page made my heart race just a little...
I have selected Literacy: Reading-Language Arts as my certificate area. I feel that this area is most relevant to what I do now, as well as transferrable to other grade levels/classrooms, should my teaching situation change at any point in the future. The fact that literacy is truly my passion in the field of education made this part a relatively easy decision for me.

Obviously, the first thing I need to do is start studying, but I also already have several goals for my classroom and instruction that will gradually unfold as I work my way through this process. I still hope to showcase a variety of content here at The Tally Tales blog, but I wouldn't be surprised if educational posts were prevalent among my publishing. I may still have a do-it-yourself project along the way (I can't resist a little creative experiment every now and then!), and I'll try to keep you updated on baby girl's milestones; but for the most part, much of the information I have to share will probably be related to things I am studying, learning, and creating for my classroom.

I hope you will follow along with me in this journey. If you have already obtained national board certification, I would very much welcome the opportunity to connect with -and learn from- you! :)