Sunday, November 8, 2015

Magic Writing with Sight Words

One of my teacher friends recently shared this idea with me, and I thought it was such a marvelously-simple, fun idea. I couldn't wait to use it with my students, and luckily, since it is so easy to incorporate into classroom instruction as a quick review activity, I was able to use it right away. As it turns out, my students love it just as much as I do. (Isn't it great when things work out like that?!?)

This is a great activity to use for those hard-to-learn sight words. If you use the Orton-Gillingham red words technique, then this exercise is a great extension activity to help reinforce those words! 

As I said, this is a really, really simple activity. Start by having your students write their work in large print with a white crayon. You will need to model this for them. After all, you are writing with a white crayon, so it helps if they can watch first to gain a better understanding of the size and spacing for their letters. 
Next, the students use a marker to color over their writing. They can watch as the word "magically" appears!
How neat is that? Of course, you won't have a perfect image of each word, but the point is to provide students with an additional, unique experience with these words. This activity will definitely be exciting for them. My students immediately begged to "magically write" all of our red words!
I hope your students are as excited about magic writing as mine were! :)