Sunday, January 24, 2016

On a Roll with Student Writing!

Forgive the cheesy name... but I just couldn't resist.

I came across this genius idea for teaching sentence mechanics with "Run-on Repair" at Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational, and couldn't wait to share it with my students. Please hop on over to her blog for the full details of this little activity!

Once I had my roll of register tape, I wrote a long run-on sentence for my students. They were amazed at the length of the sentence as they rolled it out.


Then we began editing with markers...


and when I handed them scissors... oh my goodness they loved it!


As we worked on larger pieces of writing, I continued to use this same concept to write, edit, and literally build a paragraph with register tape. It takes up some floor space, but that is a small price to pay for the way my students were so engaged in this writing activity!

 

This definitely puts a new spin on the typical writing process! This is a great visual representation of the way writing can be so messy and good at the same time. I think I love this as much as the students!

By the time they invested so much effort (and fun) into writing their narrative, they were excited to transfer their writing onto notebook paper for a final draft.


What do you think? Let me know if you give this a try in your classroom!